Monday, February 2, 2009

Rewind to Christmas #2- Family and Traditions

I know, it is February, but well...this is my blog and I can rewind back to Christmas if I want to, right? I just need to get a few more of these pictures and memories into the mix and then I can move forward. There's the disclaimer, now for the pictures (and boy do I mean A TON OF PICTURES).

I loved spending time with all of our extended family and wouldn't trade the memories of having so many loved ones gathered around for anything. That said, though, my very favorite part of Christmas was the special time that we spent with just our little family of 4 (and 1/2). Here are a few glimpses into our family time and some of our traditions.



Tradition #1- The family Christmas picture.
Even if I don't get a Christmas card sent out (I'm averaging every other year), I still like to have at least one really good family Christmas picture from each year. I frame them in a Christmas frame and pull them all out to decorate each Christmas. This is our annual picture/Christmas card from 2008:

After receiving our Christmas card in the mail, one really sweet friend emailed me to tell me what a great family picture it was and how sweet the boys looked. I thanked her, but it also made me laugh. Oh, the making of a Christmas card picture. Really, a video of it would be much more entertaining, but let me see if I can paint the image for you...We started at Thanksgiving trying to get a good picture. That day and maybe a dozen others like it, we'd get the boys dressed in something cute, try to coordinate colors and find a good location. Next we'd either get someone to take the picture while practically standing on their heads just to get our boys to look in the general direction of the camera or (even better), we'd be using a tripod and take turns running back and forth to the camera, set the timer make a funny face try to get the boys attention then quickly run back to pose (and attempt to quickly wipe away the sweat). By the 21st of Dec we still don't have a decent picture, everyone (RRL, KJ and Cbug) try not to mention Christmas cards for fear that I'll try to pose them again, but the boys looks so cute in their railroad overalls, i can't resist. In the picture above, KJ insisted on being the one to push the button so he and I were BOTH running back and forth and in a moment of amazingness, all 3 of the men in my life must have thought in unison "maybe if I just smile and cooperate one more time, we can end all of this madness"...and voila...a Christmas picture to be proud of!

I could probably post about 100 failed attempts at a Christmas picture, but here is one that pretty well sums them up. The picture is blurry because I'm trying to catch Cbug while snapping the shot. KJ is *fake* crying because...well, who knows. He's 2. Need I say more?
Tradition #2- Family Fun
I do not know if I can really call this a tradition. This is the second time we've done it, but the first time was several years ago. We had so much fun as a family going to a huge hotel in town that has awesome Christmas decorations and best of all electric trains. We loved just walking around, being together, experiencing the wonder of it all.


Tradition #3- The candlelight service
It was great to be in town for our Church's Candlelight service on Christmas eve. The place was PACKED and worship was incredible. What a great way to stop and remember why our family celebrates the season! My family was especially thrilled to get dressed up for yet another family photo (they just thought I would stop after we got ONE good one- yeah right!)



Tradition #4- Before bed:
I love Christmas pajamas. Aren't they adorable (even if the wearers would prefer to wrestle instead of pose).

Before we go to sleep we have to read the Night before Christmas and the story of Christ's birth. Here, Nonna is getting ready to read us the Night before christmas (via web cam) while we enjoy hot chococolate (or a bottle).

Almost ready to go to sleep, first we just need to leave a treat for Santa. I had it on good authority that Santa wouldn't mind eating one of the leftover Christmas cupcakes instead of a cookie this year. KJ picked the perfect one, then we left a note.



Tradition #5- The finishing touches
After the boys were asleep, RRL and I began the task of wrapping presents and putting together the boys big gift- a basketball goal. This was our first year to have something to put together on Christmas eve- RRL did a stellar job...the first of many, I'm sure.

Lots of traditions, lots of memories, LOTS of fun!

ABL

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Well, your cute Christmas picture is still hanging up in our apartment. Glad to know the behind the scenes story! This makes me ready to have Christmas again - it kind of passed by in a blur for us this year. Love you, girl!

brianchante said...

I am glad you did the rewind I loved it. Your part about the picture was too funny. It reminds me of Kelly's blog. You can link to it by my page. It is just like yours good nice pic and then you scroll down to see how things really worked. Having kids keeps things real.

The Brackeens said...

Great Xmas picture...and man, you didn't take long to get your bump, did you? Some people still think I'm just fat...and I'm at 30 weeks. A little sick of that...