Monday, November 15, 2010

The imagination of a 4-year-old

KJ has quite an imagination these days.  So good, it sometimes gets a little creepy, especially when he talks about imaginary friends.

Most of the time when he talks about pretend people it is in reference to his "soccer team".  All of the players on the team are named for some of his favorite real-life-friends...and my brother's dog sneezy.  The unfortunate part about the soccer team is that they never get to play any games because they forgot (or lost or broke- depending on the day) their soccer ball.  But coach KJ is making sure that, in the meantime, the teams has lots of fun and gets lots of exercise.  I guess the team is hanging out at our house until they find a ball because KJ sometimes interacts with them or tells me things they are doing.  Its not real, I know that, but its still a little creepy.

Last night, KJ told me about another "pretend world" that I hadn't heard him mention before.  Apparently, sometimes when he is in bed he has to teach class.  He is the teacher and I've been finding out a little bit about his students.  His favorite student is a little girl named "Kribagayle"...that is my best effort at spelling it based on his pronounciation.  When I asked him how it was spelled there were lots of Ws and Ys and Cs and of course it starts with K.  I also asked what he teaches them, and we had this interesting conversation:

Me: "So, what do you teach your students?  Good manners?"  (he nods, yes) "Being kind to others?" (nods, yes) "Being respectful?" (nods)
KJ: "Yeah, I teach them all of that stuff.  But sometimes, if I ask their moms and dads first, I teach them how to paint their hair.  Like if they want Purple or Pink or Blue hair, I can teach them how to paint it."
Me: "Oh, but you make sure to ask their parents FIRST, right?" (I couldn't think of any other way to communicate that if he decided to paint Cbug or Lous hair in real-life he should definitely ask an adult first)
KJ:  "Right.  But if their parents say it is ok, I have to help them paint it because their hands are so short they can't even reach their hair"
Me:  "Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ok.  Goodnight sweetie.  I love you!" (I mean, what was I supposed to say to that?)

So, yeah, its pretty interesting to hear the things that are going on in that little imagination. 

I do love this age and I'm so thankful for our 4-year-old.  Now I just need to find a way to convince him to stop growing up and stay home to play imaginary games with me forever...

ABL

No comments: