Thursday, June 21, 2012

SIX!

KJ is S-I-X!!
Sweet-thang had his big day right in the midst of some major craziness for our family- moving out, end of school, weekend visit from cousins, new baby, CRAZY.  SO, it didn't get blogged.  The day did happen, and I think as far as he is concerned, it was special.  We celebrated (multiple times), but the big day did not get its proper justice here, on our family's little memory timeline.  And that just won't do.  I was feeling some Mommy guilt about this little blip. But then- one of my favorite bloggers (Kelly @ 30...Really???), just by being her sweet Mommy-self, reminded me that it's never too late to share with your children, and the blog-reading world, what you love about them at this age.  So, here we go...
(and stay tuned for Princess Lou is 3.  Also skipped here)

Dearest KJ-
For the entire year from your fifth birthday to your sixth, life for our family has been a bit of a whirlwind.  It has been full of adventures, adjustments, transitions, fun, and unexpected LIFE.  That is important to share in this letter because you, my big boy, have been AMAZING through it all.  So much about you is not naturally flexible.  You love rules (for example: your "health" teacher at preschool mentioned that 10 almonds a day are good for the heart.  And you do ALL you can to eat those 10 almonds. Every.single.day).  You love things to be in order.  You like to know what is coming next.  You are a lot like me in that way.  Which is why it is even more admirable that you have been able to adapt and adjust so frequently.  And not just adapt, but really excel.  You have totally taken on a responsibility and care for others that is well beyond your years.  And you are so responsible.  You've really started taking care of yourself (showering, brushing teeth, getting dressed) and of course, I love to see you watch out for your siblings.  You are especially helpful with baby C.  I can completely trust you to hold him and help take care of him.  You have no idea how much it helps me that you are so helpful.  Someday you will, though, and I hope you get to have an oldest child just like you to return the favor.

Your imagination is priceless.  I love watching you create games and playworlds for your brother and sister to join you in.  Whether it be pillow forts, Star Wars characters, pretend "moving" or acting out Bible stories, you always manage to find something to entertain yourself and others with.  You also love ANYTHING electronic right now.  Most things you know how to operate better than I do.  Much more like your Daddy in that regard.  You also like to combine your love for pretend with your love for reading and learning as you put together NUMEROUS lego creations.  You especially like to play leggos when Daddy plays, too.

Even more pretend worlds have opened to you as you have learned to read.  It is absolutely amazing to me how quickly you have gone from sounding out words to reading stories to all of us.  You have a love for learning that I pray continues flourish.  As a result, you have inherited a bit of your momma's nerdy-ness and love talking about things like patterns, numbers, math, and meanings of words.  I love watching your curiosity develop for new things.  Even if I do sometimes have to suggest that maybe we've answered enough questions for the afternoon :)  You totally ROCKED "practice" kindergarten this year.  I can't wait to see you excel in "big school" this fall.  AND you can't wait because there "won't be naptime".  We'll see.

I also love that one of your favorite things to do right now is worship.  You recently left VBS saying "that worship was SO.MUCH.FUN" and some of your favorite music to listen to includes MWSmith, RHCC praise band, and Fernando Ortega.  Which means I love to listen to music with you!  You also have applied your love for learning to bible verse memorization.  This week at VBS you learned a couple of new verses and I was amazed how quickly you memorized them...and then taught them to the rest of us.  We are all reaping the benefits of your love for God's word.  Thanks, little man!

It doesn't seem to bother you a bit that you are still very small in stature.  Your heart is big, your confidence is big and your enthusiasm is B-I-G.  Plus, as you like to remind us, it helps that you are "super fast". I'm praying that as you get older, you are always able to see the amazingness that is KJ.  The perfection to which God has designed you.  Never let anyone tell you that you are "too small".  You are just right for whatever purpose the Lord has set before you in this world.  Your Daddy and I pray all the time we'll be able to mold and shape you just as you for that purpose. And I'm so glad I get to be along for the ride while you discover it.

Love you with all my heart, sweet boy, my BIG 6-year-old!
Momma



No comments: